Home Forums Bullying & Cyber Bullying Working Group Welcome to the ISPCAN Bullying & Cyberbullying Working Group

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

The goal of this Working Group on Bullying and Cyberbullying is to increase awareness of this critical issue, promote prevention strategies, clarify issues related to definitions, and facilitate consistency in data collection and measurement. Bullying can affect everyone—those who are bullied, those who bully, and those who witness bullying. Bullying is linked to many negative outcomes including impacts on mental health, substance use, and suicide. Kids who are bullied can experience negative physical, school, and mental health issues. Kids who are bullied are more likely to experience depression and anxiety, increased feelings of sadness and loneliness, changes in sleep and eating patterns, and loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy. These issues may persist into adulthood. They are more likely to miss, skip, or drop out of school resulting in decreased academic achievement—GPA and standardized test scores—and school participation. A very small number of bullied children might retaliate through extremely violent measures or engage in the abuse of alcohol and other drugs in adolescence and as adults.

We encourage interested ISPCAN members as well as nonmembers to join the conversation by posting a comment in this Forum. We welcome participants from all disciplines and with varied experiences.

Hello! I’m Elena Coppo and I’m a pediatrician working in the north west part of Italy; I’m the chief of a child protection team called “Bambi” that works on abused and negclected children since 2002. I’d like to join this group because the Bullying and Cyber Bullying are emergent issues also in our country and I think it is very important to recognise them as soon as possibile. In Italy there is a recent national law that help to identify and support the victims of cyberbullying but the issue is still increasing. Working with this ISPCAN commission wold be an honour for me and a great opportunity to share goals and ideas in such important field of our work to help children victims of any kind of violence.

Lúcia Cavalcanti de WilliamsLúcia Cavalcanti de Williams
    Participant

Hello, Elena and everyone else in this group. Thank you Jane for opening the group!

I would add as one of our main goals to discuss recent research topics on bullying and cyberbullying as this has been one of ISPCAN’s signature features.

In addition, I have two points to share with members:

1. There will be a meeting of this Working Group at the upcoming ISPCAN’s Oman Congress – confirmed participants are Elena Coppo, Riti Chandrashehkar myself and hopefully Jane. If anyone else going to Oman is interested please join us. Our meeting is scheduled for Sunday Sept 15th at 4:30 – first day of the congress. (There will be a bullying and cyber-bullying working group at the pre-congress but it will be in Arabic).

2. I have contacted members who were initially interested in this working group and so far we had 3 confirmations: Elena (from Italy), Riti (India), and
    Simone Eelmaa (Estonia), so together with Jane from the U.S.A. and myself from Brazil/Canada we already have a wide range of global representation in the best ISPCAN tradition.

If you know of any other members who would like to join us, please don’t hesitate to put them in contact.

Lucia C.A. Williams

Greetings,

Will there be another working group meeting during ISPCAN’s 2020 Qatar conference?

Simóne Eelmaa

Lúcia Cavalcanti de WilliamsLucia Williams

Dear Simóne

At this point I don’t think I will be able to go to Qatar so it is not likely that we will hold a meeting there. But I will keep you up-to-date about the Oman meeting and shortly after my return from Oman (Sept. 22), I will contact you so we can have an online meeting with our group to discuss the conclusions from Oman and plan our future steps. Take care.

Lucia C.A. Williams

My name is Dr. Liat Franco. I teach law in Zefat Academic college located in Israel. Recently I published a research (titlled “Precarious Childhood: Law and Its (Ir) Relevance in the Digital Lives of Children”) that deals with the intersection of law, children and cybebullying. This research provides insight to the way children perceive law and its relevance in the digital realm drawing on in- depth semi-structured interviews with sixty-six eighth- and ninth-grade students from three different Israeli middle schools. According to the findings, children experience the digital world as a precarious environment. Most children interviewed where unaware of or misunderstood relevant legal norms designed to protect web users in general and children in particular. Moreover, children experienced a lack of legal or other appropriate responses to severe incidents of cyberbullying that they experienced firsthand or witnessed as bystanders. Even though children are considered by adults to be digital savvy, as they are spending a growing share of time online and on social media apps, they have almost no awareness of their rights in this sphere. Moreover, Children and youth do not report about their experiences of cybebullying. This non reporting is severe as it hinders children materialization of their rights. I believe that the digital environment can actually enhance children’s rights and exercise children’s right of participation in ways which were not possible before therefore strengthening children and creating a safer world for them.

Joining ISPCAN commission wold be a great opportunity to share research ideas and goals in what I view as one of the most important task of creating a safe digital environment for children.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information if needed.

Best,
    Dr. Liat Franco

Lúcia Cavalcanti de WilliamsLucia Williams

Dear Dr. Liat Franco

Wellcome to our Bullying and Cyberbullying Working Group! We are a group of professionals from various disciplines and different parts of the world – Brazil and Canada on my case, Riti from India, Elena from Italy, Simone from Estonia, Jane from the U.S.A. and now you from Israel. When I lived in Brazil I worked with some very active lawyers in this field – they would have clients who were victims of cyberbullying or other internet related crimes, conduct research and organize a congress every two years in different parts of Brazil always followed by a book published in sequence.
    Your research seems very interesting – where did you publish it? We will be organizing a virtual meeting of our group this month – Jane will get in touch with you about your availability and interest to take part.

best

Lucia Williams

Jane EstesJane Estes
    Keymaster

Dear Dr. Liat Franco, Welcome to the Bullying & Cyberbullying Working Group. We would like you to join in our meetings going forward. Can you please provide your contact information (email) so that we can include you in our meeting planning.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Welcome to the ISPCAN Bullying & Cyberbullying Working Group
Your information: